Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Welcome to Chicago

Postcard Entry #4 - "Welcome to Chicago"

Today in Digital Storytelling, we listened to multiple different stories about many different subjects including family, pets, places and themselves.  The event that was not necessarily a story that sparked this story was about Sedona, Arizona.  I don't travel a lot but Chicago is the furthest south I have traveled. 

A few years ago, my mother, her friend (and her son, who happens to be Jonathan of our class) and I went to Chicago for a few days because it was a place that we had not been before.  We traveled there by train starting from Port Huron.  On the way, I remember stopping at Grand Rapids, which brings the thoughts of the American Hockey League team.  That team is the farm affiliate of my favourite hockey team.  Since we left Michigan early, we arrived in Chicago in mid-day. My first reaction is that the city is huge.

We visited many places in our stay.  We went to the Hershey store, Sears Tower (at the time), John Hancock Tower, a bus tour, and my personal favourite; The Cheesecake Factory.  We don't have those restaurants in Canada, and cheesecake is the best thing ever.  We also ordered a deep dish pizza at our hotel, but it wasn't what we expected.  In the last few days, I felt sick, but tried to enjoy the trip anyway.  I remember our mothers having an obsession with going to Walgreens right across the street.


On our way back, the state of Michigan had decided to close the railroad for repairs so we had to take a bus back to Port Huron.  That made a lot of people irritated.  We had made it home safely but it was a fun trip to remember.


This was based off the storytelling of someone mentioning Sedona, Arizona.  It made me think of my trip to Chicago.  Also, next week, I am taking a two day trip to Buffalo, a place I have not been, so the timing of this story was relevant.

No comments: